About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, June 15, 2012

Butterick 5454

Butterick 5454 was the perfect solution to a problem fabric!  I needed a pattern specifically for a knit border print and this pattern fit the bill!  It is described as follows:
Pattern Description:
Misses Dress: Close-fitting dresses, A, B, C have wrap fronts, front tucks, front and back pleats, self-ties, A-line skirt and sleeve variations.  A: Short flounce sleeves.  B; Three-quarter sleeves.  C: long flared sleeves and border print.  Lengths are 2" above mid-knee.  This dress is sized for moderate stretch knits only.  You can see the link for the pattern envelope here: http://butterick.mccall.com/b5454-products-10837.php?page_id=147

This pattern is rated as easy and I would agree! 

Pattern Sizing:This is a multi-sized pattern.  You may choose from the size ranges 6 to 14 or 16 to 24. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Sure does! Although I am not as thin as the model.  :) 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Instructions were easy. This dress goes together quickly and is pretty intuitive in the sewing steps.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the style of the pattern, but I seem to remember sewing myself a wrap skirt in about 8th grade!  I had no idea this style would be 'current' again!  This pattern went together easily, is well drafted and I love the flounce sleeve finish and the way the armscye is finished on the inside. 

Fabric Used:
A heavy, rather clingy designed knit I purchased from Fabric Mart.  I think it may have been an Anna Sui print.  I love purple and black, so I snatched it up right away!  The border print made it rather difficult to work with, and I didn't have quite enough to match the side seams. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I really didn't change much of anything--surprise!  I did however add elastic to the neckline edges per other reviewers to prevent neckline gaposis.  I have to admit that was a new technique to me and I really like the result.  Because of my knit, I did end up using about 6 inches less that the total neckline measurement. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would sew this again, well maybe!  If I found the right border print, I may try a 3/4 length sleeve. 

Conclusion: This was one of those instant gratification projects.  I enjoyed creating it and since it is rather low cut, I will be wearing a cami underneath.  Many reviewers stated the used a size smaller than normal, so I cut a 14 when I usually wear a 16.  I like the fit--at least I thought I did, until I saw the pictures. 
Thanks for reading!

Sue





1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love the border print with this pattern- great combination. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete