About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vogue 8559

<b>Pattern Description: </b>This is a review for a super cute Marcy Tilton top.  I had a lot of fun creating this jacket and top.  Here is how the top and jacket are described on the pattern envelope:
Loose-fitting unlined jacket has dropped shoulders, sleeves and fronts are longer than the back.  There are three views, A has no side seams, decorative stitching on collar, sleeves and all hem edges.  B and C have contrast bands.  Pullover fitted tank has self or contrast bands on the neck and armhole.  Lower edges of all garments are unfinished. 

<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
This pattern comes in sizes XS to XL.  I made a medium.




<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>  Yes, I think so.  I even silk-screened it, just like view B on the pattern envelope (I used a different screen).  I silk screened on the front edges, the back center below the neckline and the lower sleeves.   

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>  Oh yes, super easy instructions. 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>  I simply love the styling of the jacket.  It is fun, can be dressy or not and has many possibilities.  I also created the tank in a matching fabric and found it to be a great-fitting tank. 

<b>Fabric Used:</b>  Wonderfully soft, drapey ITY knit with some Lycra in it for extra stretch.  I purchased it at JoAnns.  The contrast I used was from Marcy Tilton's website.  I love all the colors in it and feel the green knit complements it well. 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b> I changed nothing, absolutely nothing.  The only instructional method I changed was to put the contrast edge and fabric edge right sides together, sew, and turn to the right side.  I think top stitched 1/4 inch from the edge.   

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>  Yes, I do think I will make this numerous times, although I will have to change it up somewhat as it is rather distinct. 

<b>Conclusion: </b>  This was a fun jacket and tank to create.  It came together well, fits well, and just begs from some creativity!  It can be worn open or closed.  For the closure, I took a button I like and sewed it to a pin back with some heavy thread.  I like the pin closure but  DH does not.  :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment