About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vogue 8813

Marcy Tilton Pullover dress is semi-fitted through the bust, has gathered front extending into the back collar, side front seams, draped lower side front with pockets and stitched hems. 

Here is a picture from the Vogue Pattern site: http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8813-products-22895.php?page_id=857&search_control=display&list=search

I was able to try on this dress in July when I attended Katherine Tiltons' workshop, Beyond the Arty T.  It was so much fun and there were many women in attendance of various shapes and sizes and everyone that tried on the dress looked great! 

So, here is my review. 

Pattern Description: </b> 
See above.  The only thing I might add is that the dress has over sized front pockets and two sleeve-length variations. 

<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
This pattern is sized XS though Med.  Another sizing option is L through XXL. 

<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>
Yes, I think it looks a lot like the pattern envelope, even though I added another button so the pockets didn't hang as much as the design indicates. 


<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
Instructions were very easy to follow.  I had not made the faux-smocking before and followed the instructions to a T.  I think mine turned out lovely.  I added this close-up so you can judge for yourself. 


<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
I love how unique the pattern and styling is.  It is fun, looks great on a variety of sizes and figure types and really lends itself to a variety of fabrics. 

<b>Fabric Used:</b>
I used a light-weight denim that has plaid-type white  and blue line running vertically and horizontally though it.  It was wonderful to work with, sewed beautifully, ravelled a little but nothing that was out of the ordinary, and pressed wonderfully.  I think I purchased it from JoAnns but it could have been Hancock.  I have purchased so much fabric lately, I simply can't remember.  It is 100% cotton and washes and dries like a dream. Even after wearing it for an entire day, the back wasn't that wrinkled.  I still looked presentable.  :) 




<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b> 
The only thing I changed was adding two buttons to the pockets to help hold them in a more closed position.  If my fabric had been more drapey, I wouldn't have messed with the buttons.  Fabric choice is so important no matter what you create but especially so with a dress that requires exquisite drape such as this one. 

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>  This dress is so much fun and unique and it was so much fun to sew that yes, I highly recommend it to others.  And yes, if I find just the right fabric, I do plan on creating it again. 

<b>Conclusion: </b>
I had a lot of fun making this dress.  I really enjoyed making the gathers with what I feel are excellent results.  I wore this dress to work and received many compliments on it.  Try this pattern if you want something unique and FUN!!! 


Thanks for reading!!!
Sue :) 

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so cute! One more pattrn to move forward in my queue!

    ReplyDelete