About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Simplicity 1943

This is such an easy little jacket that I made for DD2.  This is for a store display and DD2 liked the shape of the jacket, so I let her pick out the fabric. 

Here is the description from the back of the envelope: Misses' knit and woven jackets.  That is it!!!  Here is my equally brief description: There are six variations on this jacket with different sleeve lengths, jacket lengths, shapes, etc. 
 
Fabrics: A, B sized for stretch knits only: Cotton interlock, jerseys, lightweight double knits, stretch velvet, Novelty knit fabrics.  C, E, F in damask, pique, sateen, linen,. etc. 

I was required to make view F, which looks like a little bolero jacket.  DD2 choose a silky print that was very spring-like.  It really wasn't ideal for this pattern so I adapted and cut a layer of organza and used it as a second layer of fabric.  I love the berry colored lining fabric she choose.  How fun will this be to wear? 

I believe that my creation looks like the pattern envelope. 

What did I like?  Dislike?
This was so unbelievably easy it was just embarrassing.  It is nicely finished off with all inside seams are covered by the lining. 
What I didn't like, and this is minor, is that there is a center back seam that does nothing for garment shaping.  It isn't needed at all.  Since this was the store display and I will be teaching others how to make this jacket, I cut and sewed it as the pattern was written. 
I also don't like how the side seams are stitched.  I just think there is a better way to get a nicer finish.  I will have to experiment with that. 

Changes: DD2 is rather petite so I shortened the jacket by 2 inches.  I used her measurements and compared those the the envelope to determine how much to shorten it.  She wasn't here for a final fitting, so I hope it works!  I am about 5 inches taller than she, so I didn't think I would be a good model for her. 
I understitched the lining so it wouldn't roll to the outside and show.  That isn't mentioned in the instructions but really should be added. 

Conclusion:
This is just super easy, can be made in a variety of fabrics and has some nice design choices on the envelope.  For those of you with teen or 20 something daughters, they will love it!  It would also be very cute over a spaghetti-strap dress if you need a little coverage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment