About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Vogue 1275

Sandra Betzina's Misses' top: is close-fitting, pullover top has neck binding and optional stitched hem on lower edge.  A: ruched front and elastic forms ruched effect on sleeves.  B: self-lined sleeves with ruffles. 


Sandra's sizing is different with A-J all included in one envelope.

The top has a princess seam with dart, shirring and trim details and the instructions are written by Sandra. 

Notions needed are Steam-a-seam lite and optional double needle and wooly nylon.  For view A, you need 3/4 yard of 1/4" clear elastic. 

This doesn't take that much fabric: 1 5/8 yard for size E (long sleeves) .  You must use a knit for this top. 

I purchased this knit from Marcy Tilton.  I love the colors.  Purple is one of my favorites and this has a wonderful plumy-purple in it.  It is super soft, drapey, and the cut edge only slightly rolls.  

It really feels great on your skin! 

With Sandra's sizing, I find it if I use my bust measurement for the top (duh, right?) and grade down a size through the waist and hips, I get a good fit. 

What did I like/dislike? 
I love the styling of the top.  It has the ruching but not too much.  I love the elastic treatment on the sleeves. 
Some reviewers mentioned the craziness of the neckline and how it was attached.  I tried it as the pattern was written and didn't like how wide the band was.  I removed the band, cut an inch off and reapplied.  I like it much better now. 




What changes did I make:
I added some top stitching around the neckline and down the front band. The seam would stand up, if that makes sense, and found that if I stitched it down it stayed put. 
I also stitched along the seam on the sleeve for about an inch so that the hem wouldn't pop out to the right side when I was wearing it. 
I made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment.  Other than that, this is a great basic t-shirt pattern. 


Conclusion:
I will most likely put this together again.  I am really intrigued by B, but not sure if I will use the shoulder ruffles.  You can make this long sleeved version with or without the ruching, so it is a pretty versatile pattern. 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment