About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Vogue 8857

Vogue's 'easy' Misses' top and tunic: Fitted blouse or tunic has front tucks and button band, shaped hemline and narrow hem.  A, B, C: Bias neck binding extends into tie ends, flounces (wrong sides show) with unfinished hem.  A, D: Stitched hem on sleeves.  E, F: Pleated sleeves.  B, C, E, F: Seam opening on sleeves with button cuff, thread loop (B, C).  D, E, F: Collar band.  D, F (Collar). 



Here is a photo from the front of the envelope and yes, they used an actual cute photo! 

Here you can see the line drawings of all the views.  I went out on a limb and sewed View C.  I made a size larger than I normally do,  but had to take it in quite a bit.  For some reason, I am into tunics and this one is so awesome!




This pattern is rated as easy and not so sure that it is truly that easy....I mean it isn't difficult, but with some of the design features, I'd feel bad if a beginner picked this pattern up and expected to get awesome results. 

I used a rayon blend fabric I purchased from SR Harris in Minneapolis last summer.  I had been waiting for the perfect top and the color is so similar to the envelope, it was just meant to be. 

What I liked, disliked about the pattern?  I think the directions for this top are great.  There are lots of great visuals that guide you through the neck band with attached tie ends, the tucks, and the hemline.  Also, the order of construction is great.  I love that you hem the top prior to attaching the button band. You get a very professional looking finish using that technique.  I will have to remember that trick next time I make a top with an attached band. 

All the notches and dots seemed to line up well on this top so nothing caused me any sort of head-scratching. 

What I disliked is that the neckband with attached times is so narrow it is fiddly with a softer fabric like I used.  The seam allowances are only 1/4 inch wide on the neckband and prior to attaching it to the top, you staystitch and then trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch.  I believe this would have been fine had I used something with a crisper hand. 

I took a leap of faith and actually left the edges raw on the neckline flounce.  It is cut on the bias so even though is has an unfinished look, I don't believe there will be much if any sort of raveling after it is washed. 
I do think the cuffs are just a tad small, I have fairly small wrists and felt it is just a bit snug on me.  You may want to measure your wrist before cutting out this piece. 

Design changes/modifications I made: as I hinted at before, it was too large so to remedy this, I ended up taking a center back seam and added some shaping by taking it in about an inch at the waistline and hip area.  Sorry I am not modeling it, I have ignored 'Grace' lately so she is the star tonight. 
I also made my usual 1/2 swayback adjustment. 

The first button is rather low so thank goodness the tie neckline will help keep things appropriate for work. 

I think my finished garment looks quite a bit like the envelope.  I am not 100% satisfied with how the tie ends look at the neckline, but maybe I am being too critical.

I highly recommend this top.  Check your measurements and how you'd like it to fit.  It has quite a few options: length, sleeve length, flounce, tucks, etc. 

A fun and satisfying pattern!

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment