About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Vogue 8593 Dress

Here is a misses' dress: Fitted, tapered dresses A, B, C, mid-knee length, have pleated front neckline and darted back and zipper.  A: Sleeveless, finished with purchased bias tape.  B: below elbow length sleeves.  C: Full-length sleeves. 
This dress is recommended to be made from moderate stretch knits only.  You need a zipper and a little interfacing as the neckline has a facing.  I included the line drawings as you can see the cute little dart on the back of the sleeves in views B & C. 
V8593

<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
This is a multi-sized pattern.  You can choose from AA (6 to 12) or EE (14 to 20).  I made a straight 16 and like the fit.  I did think it would fit a little snugger than it did, so I was relieved it wasn't any tighter. 

Line Art




I asked DH to take a picture of the neckline and guess what he focused on?  Enough said!


<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>  Yes, I think mine does look like the drawing. 

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
What can I say about these instructions?  They are so easy!  All the directions fit on less than 2 pages (front to back).  Illustrations are easy to follow and wording is excellent. 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
I really like the fit you can get from the back darts and shoulder darts.  The pleating on the neckline eliminates the need for any sort of fba or darting in the bust area.  If you are small chested, you may want to make a size smaller on top.  That is just my suggestion! 
There is no way you need a zipper with this dress...it is just not necessary--so why did I put on in?  Not sure!  I guess I did this because I had a wad of the invisible zippers and it had been a while since I put one in a knit dress!
At first I was disappointed that the neckline had facings but with the pleating you need one.  However, I do plan on trying to make this dress with a neckband.  I think it might work. 
There is no way I am going to set in sleeves on a knit so I sewed them in flat and then sewed up the side seams.
I topstitched the hemline and the sleeve hem because I thought it would look funny to hand hem.  Plus, I just didn't want to! 

<b>Fabric Used:</b>
I love this wonderful animal print I purchased from gorgeous fabrics.  It sewed up so well! 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
My usual 1/2" sway back adjustment and that is it.  Really, that's it!

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
I think the style of this dress is a TNT.  I love the neckline and the fit.  Depending on the fabric you choose you can make it dressy or super casual.  With the zipper, I do think you may be able to use a woven.  It might be worth a try! 

<b>Conclusion: </b>
I plan on wearing this dress as I modeled it for Easter.  We can't seem to shake this winter-like weather in South Dakota, so tights are a must!  In fact, it has been lightly snowing all day.  :( 

Thanks for reading!  I love my new dress!
Sue


No comments:

Post a Comment