About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Vogue 1337

I love the shape of this pattern. 
All 3 images from Vogue Patterns. 
 



Here's the line drawing. 
You can see all the pleating on the front, back, and front waistline. 

This pattern is EASY!!!  It only took a short time to put together. 

<b>Pattern Description: </b>
Here is the description.  First, I should say this is a designer pattern from Mark & James from Badgley Mischka and yes, you read correctly, it is EASY!!! 
Pullover dress (cut on crosswise grain) has very loose-fitting, slightly blouson bodice, shoulder/front waist and skirt side pleats, elastic seamed waist, stitched hems, thread loops and self-lined belt. 


<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
Pattern sizing is AX5 (4 to 12) and D5 (12 to 16)
Based on the finished measurements printed on the pattern tissue, I made a 12.  Typically, I sew between a 14 and 16 with Vogue, depending on how it fits.  This is plenty roomy on me.  I wouldn't want it any bigger.  As an extra bonus, for you girls that are full-chested, no FBA is needed!  Yahoo!




  

<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b>
Yes, I believe my version of this dress looks like the envelope.  It is tough to see all the details with the very busy print I used, but they are all there. Of course I made some modifications which I will detail below. 

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b> Instructions were easy-peasy.  No issues whatsoever!  My only gripe, and mind you this is really minor, is that there is an elastic guide for the waistline, but not for the shoulder seams.  Seems a little silly to me, nothing that you can't figure out, but the directions don't specify to make the elastic shorter, longer, only to follow the shoulder seam.  Yep, it is intuitive, but if you are a beginner, you may scratch your head a few times trying to figure out where the piece to measure the elastic is! 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b> 
I really love the '80's feel of this top.  It is so very comfortable and with today's knits, a breeze to whip up!  There are a lot of pleats (28 in all), so if you really hate making pleats, avoid this pattern!  Having said that, the pleats all lined up really well, and all the notches fit together really well. 
I really don't like putting facings in knits, so read below to see how I handled that. 
 
<b>Fabric Used:</b>
This is a pretty funky ITY jersey print from Gorgeous Fabrics.  It has so many neutrals in it along with the pop of yellow that I simply love it.  It was a dream to sew with as well! 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
Honestly, I didn't make many.  I hate putting facings in knits, so I cut a 2" bias strip and sewed it to the neckline, so I could eliminate the facing all together.  Next, I turned it and topstitched 1/16" from the edge.  It lays nice and flat, so it was a good choice for me.  The only other review of this dress mentioned the facings rolled to the outside, so now that problem is eliminated as well. 
I didn't lengthen the dress at all, despite it being desperately short, so I will wear it with leggings.  I work as an instructional coach in preschool classrooms, so I am up and down off the floor or very small chairs a good part of my day, so this will eliminate showing off any goods I don't intend to!  :) 
I really didn't like the belt as shown, so here was my solution: I cut one instead of two pieces, folded it in half, and stitched.  The small opening I left for turning I closed with steam-a-seam.  I didn't put the thread loops at the side.  I didn't think I'd need them. 

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
You know, this 'dress' is pretty unique, so I am not sure I will so it again, but I do highly recommend it to others.  If you really want a retro-feel, you could add some shoulder pads! 

<b>Conclusion: </b>
I enjoyed making this dress.  It went together well, is very comfortable, is loose fitting enough on top to accommodate the 'girls' and could be dressy or casual depending on your fabric choice. 

Thanks for reading! 
Sue :) 

After looking at these photos, I realized what a frizzy mess my hair is.  Just so you can see what our weather is like, I included a short video of the snow!  For those of you with naturally curly hair, you completely understand! 

1 comment: