About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Butterick 5646

Pattern Description:
This pattern is for four different tunics that are semi-fitted and have double bands.  A, B, C have stitched armhole facings.  C, D have stitched pleats. 

Pattern Sizing:
Sizes are Y (XS to M) and ZZ (L to XXL).  I made a medium in view B and it fits just fine. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I believe my finished garment looks quite a bit like the envelope.  I really detest some of the line drawings they do nothing for people wanting to pick it up and sew it.  I found it mainly by checking out McCallspatterns.com.  The photograph does this top justice. 



The envelope just has the drawings.  The photograph is on the website.   

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Instructions were more than adequate.  I merely glanced at them and then did my own thing with the band and buttons. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes:
I really like the style of this top along with the length.  It is a tunic with some funky twists of the pleated side or sides and the pockets.  Sleeves are totally optional and while I included them, I am not sure I love them.  I may take them off, but we will see. 
Everything is well drafted and fits together really well.  I started with the no sleeves option which required the armhole facings which is awful with white fabric.  So, after I decided to attach the sleeves and left the facings.  I cut them down to about 1/2" so it looks more like RTW. 
Everything is nice a tidy on the inside, especially the way the top is hemmed and then the bands are attached. 
Dislikes:
I really didn't like the band for the buttonholes and buttons.  It is a single layer of fabric that is not interfaced or anything.  In this step the directions tell you to back the buttonhole with a remnant of fabric to reinforce the area.  Well, with cotton fabric, I thought it wouldn't hold up, so I went ahead and cut another piece of band, interfaced it, and attached it to the other band so it is two thicknesses instead of one.  Hopefully you can see what I did in the photograph. 
I also think I may take in the center back seam at the waistline to give it a little more definition on the backside.  What do you think?  Should I alter it?  DH thinks it is fine.  I am open to suggestions.  :) 

Fabric Used:
I used this colorful white/orange stretch cotton from fabricmart.  I think I bought it last summer and I am such a sucker for orange and white that I had to have it.  It sewed up really well, presses well, and just behaved beautifully during the entire process. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only design change is listed above in the dislikes.  I also made my usual 1/2" swayback adjustment. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would like to make this again in a silky- type fabric.  I believe the flow would be amazing and the way it would skim your body would be just lovely.  I do recommend this pattern to others.  It went together in about 3 hours from cutting out to sewing on the buttons. 

Conclusion:
Don't let a dull pattern envelope fool you, this is a cute, under-reviewed top that has great potential!

Thanks for reading!
Sue

Update:
I decided to take in the back side so it fit more smoothly and gave some definition to my waist area. 
Here's what I did:
1.  Made two ~12" darts from the bottom of the shoulder blades to the hips.  At the widest point, the darts are 1/2" deep. 
2.  Took the side seams in at the waist 1/2" on each side. 



Overall, I am much happier with the result.  I do believe that next time I make this top I will take a about 3/4" wedge out for the swayback adjustment rather than my usual 1/2". 
I think the front and side lays better now that it has been taken in.  What do you think?

Thanks for the helpful comments!
:) 


2 comments: