About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Vogue 1170 Rachel Comey top

Pattern Description:
This is a Rachel Comey top and skirt pattern.  The top is very-loose fitting with front keyhole opening with knot, back yoke, back band, extended sleeves tied into knot and back button closing. 
I haven't tried the skirt yet, but it's super cute, so that may be next....


Pattern Sizing:
There are two sizing options AAX (4 to 10 or DD 12 to 18.  Since this top is very-loose fitting, I made a size smaller than I usually do for Vogue and ended up with a 12. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, my top looks like the drawings.  I just wish I liked it better on me.  It looks cute on the model and everyone I have seen review it. 



Were the instructions easy to follow?
For a Vogue pattern that is rated Average, instructions were easy.  No head scratching whatsoever.  There are a lot of little steps they have you take that really aren't necessary and don't really lead to a higher quality garment, but more on that to follow. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Like:
I like the styling with the cut on sleeves that tie. 
Button up back. 
Dislike:
All the French seams.  They are okay, but sometimes on a curved seam such as the one running from the armscye to the hem, it is tough to get exactly perfect. 
Here is my other main gripe, with the narrow hems on the sleeve ties you have a spot where the narrow hem meets a seam and I just hate those narrow gaps.  Even though you sew up to the very spot where the hem meets the seam, I still feel like there is something more you can do to give a nicer finish on the inside.
I feel like this top is really boxy.  I wish it was 2 or 3 inches longer.  That is just a personal preference. 
Fabric Used:
This was made from 100% cotton that I batiked myself!  It was great fun and I didn't quite know what to expect, but it is soft and colorful. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The one thing I did differently and this was mainly due to other reviewers comments was the hand gathering under the arm.  I mean really?  Here's what I did instead and mind you, I don't know for sure if it was better or not, I machine gathered the area and then cut a bias band and applied it to the underarm area just like the neck facing was applied.  Like I said, not sure if that was better or not but hand gathering didn't seem like a great idea. 
I also made my usual 1/2 inch sway back adjustment making a wedge at the center back and tapering to nothing at the side seams.
I covered my own buttons as well. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I really don't think I will sew this again. I feel like I am being strangled with the knot and need to work on the placement of it.  I just don't like how the overall garment looks on the inside to make another one.  Do I recommend it?  Not really.  The skirt however is really cute and I really want to give it a go. 

Conclusion:
Really, this is just an okay top.  Maybe lowering the front neck at least an inch and leaving out all the French seams will help but I am not going to rush to create it again. 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment