About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Vogue Easy pants 8883

<b>Pattern Description: </b>
This is an easy pants pattern described like this: Semi-fitted shorts or tapered pants have self-lined yokes, side front and back seams and back zipper.  C: Narrow hems.  D: Tie Ends and cuffs.  C, D: Side slits with purchased trim.  A, B, E: Stitched hems. 
V8883
<b>Pattern Sizing:</b>
A5 (8 to 14) or E5 (14 to 22)
I made a size 14 with just a few adjustments based on my muslin. 


right side is the muslin, left fitted for me



<b>Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?</b> Sure did! 

<b>Were the instructions easy to follow?</b>
The instructions are more than adequate.  Honestly, this is one of those patterns that you can look at the line drawing and figure out how to create it, it is that easy! 

<b>What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?</b>
Caboose side
I thought the ease wasn't as typical as is in most Vogue patterns, especially those listed as semi-fitted.  According to the finished measurements on the tissue and my experience with Vogue, it fits quite a bit snugger in the waist and hips than I am accustomed to.  Also, I had to adjust the rise in order to accommodate me.  Other than that, I really do like the style of the pattern.  My only real gripe is a zipper on the booty.  I moved it to the side.  Read on for more information about the minor alterations I made.

<b>Fabric Used:</b>  
Denim from my stash.  My muslin or the view on the right was made with a much lighter weight denim than the version on the left.  I love the weight of the muslin and encourage anyone wanting to make these pants to use a light-weight fabric as it will lay nicer. 

<b>Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:</b>
1.  For my muslin, I made a straight size 14 and felt the rise on the crotch seam was a little short.  I added 1/2" on the front and back at the waistline for a much more comfortable fit. 
2.  For my muslin and finished pant I moved the zipper from the center back seam and moved it to the side.  I think it looks better and definitely feels better.  I eliminated the side ties from the final garment due to a lack of fabric.  Both pieces were from my stash so I had limited yardage.
3.  To finish off the waistband on the inside of the garment, I attached some bias tape from my stash, stitched it down and rather than turning the edge and stitching, just pinned it flat and stitching in the ditch.  It is much less bulky and let me use up some scraps and add some color to the waistband.  When I look at higher-end RTW pants, I often see this type of application at the waistband.   The creases you see on the inside of the waistband are just that, creases.  I am sure after I wash the denim again, they will come out. Luckily, they are not visible from the right side.  :) 

<b>Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?</b>
I do plan on creating these pants again soon in a linen or linen-like or a dressier than denim type fabric.  The denim is great, but for warm summer days, a nice light weight fabric will be welcomed. 
I do recommend this pattern to others, especially beginners or those that have never tackled pants.  It is an easy pattern to get your feet wet on, if you know what I mean!

<b>Conclusion: </b>
Sorry I am not modeling these for you.  It is one of those days where I feel like I ate a pound of raw bread dough that expanded in my stomach and I can't even think about putting on anything that may actually have a waist! 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment