About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, June 7, 2013

Simplicity 2443 Cynthia Rowley Jacket

Pattern Description:
This is a uber-popular Cynthia Rowley dress and jacket.  The only description on the back of the envelope is this: Misses dress with knit bodice and jacket or vest.  Really?  That's it? 



I would describe it like this:  Close-fitting bodice of knit dress has racer-back styling, waistline and gathered skirt.  Loose-fitting jacket or vest has many patch pockets, some with flaps, ties and loops, and a placket on the elbow-length sleeves. 

Pattern Sizing:
I made a size 14.  It is just the right amount of boxiness: not too much nor too little. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, I think my jacket resembles the pattern photo.  I made a few minor modifications that I will highlight below. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Very easy, although it has been quite some time since I have done a straight up placket and it took more than one attempt to figure it out.  I do have to say, it turned out really well and I have to give a lot of credit to steam-a-seam for that! 




What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the style!  How adorable is this jacket? 
Despite having so many pieces for the jacket (16 for the view I made), it went together easily.  All the notches matched up well. 
I do like the placket on the sleeve.  It is a very nice touch. 
I also love the fit. 
Dislikes: None really. 



Fabric Used:
I used a lovely linen from Treadle Yard Goods in Minneapolis.  The buttons are coconut from the same shop.  I used interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply and it worked so well, I will never buy another interfacing, ever. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1.  I had these coconut buttons that I purchased to use with the linen.  I simply left off the ties and kept the loops to go around the buttons. 
2.  I accidentally sewed the flaps with a 5/8" seam rather than a 3/8" so I they were too small for the bottom patch pockets.  They fit the top ones, so I moved them up there. 
3.  This isn't a alteration or design change, but it worked so well for me, I had to share!  On the placket edges, you have to press the edges under 1/4".  In order to get this as close to perfect as I could, I used steam-a-seam on the edges.  It worked beautifully! 








Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Oh yes.  I will keep this pattern close at hand, even though it is pretty distinct.  I think it will look quite different in a variety of fabrics. 
I do highly recommend it to others.  This was a favorite pattern of 2011 and now I know why.  Not sure why I waited so long to make this, as it is super cute. 

Conclusion:
I love this jacket.  I feel like a million bucks wearing it! 

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment