About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, July 8, 2013

Vogue 8835: White Denim skirt

This pattern is a Very Easy Vogue Skirt.  It is described like this on the back of the envelope:
Semi-fitted skirts have lined yokes, back zipper and narrow hem.
A: button trim and mock welts. 




Suggested Fabrics: Lightweight woolens, lightweight linen, lightweight denim. 

Pattern sizing: Two size combinations: 6 to 14 or 14 to 22.  I started with a 16. 

Notions needed: Zipper, interfacing, and optional buttons. 


Cost and time investment: Fabric, interfacing, and zipper are all from my stash.  This is a fast and easy to assemble skirt.  It is a fairly timeless style.  I think I spent about 2.5 hours total cutting this out and putting it together. 

Fabric used: I used a lightweight denim from my stash.  I know I've had it for more than a year but have no idea what I spent.  I used interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply--the best stuff on earth! 

Likes/Dislikes:
I like the style.  It looks like a wrap skirt but there is a large/wide overlap of the front pieces so no worries about showing off more than you'd like to. 
Length is great! 
Easy to put together. 
Dislikes: The yoke is really wide--see below for how I altered it. 
The narrow hem may be a little difficult depending on the fabric you choose. 

Modification/Alterations:
As I mentioned above, the yoke is really tall--4".  It is shaped really well but I felt like it was digging into my waistline so I shaved off 1.5" from the top.  Now it sits a few inches below the waistline and is much more comfortable. 
I used a white quilting cotton for the yoke lining rather than the denim as I didn't want it too bulky.  And instead of turning under the seam allowance of the yoke facing and stitching it, thus giving the seam a lot of bulk, I simply left it unturned and topstitched on the right side of the garment to keep it in place. 
I also only had an invisible zipper and didn't want to go anywhere so I made do with it.  It wasn't the best choice for denim, but it does work. 
I ended up taking this skirt in a tad too much and it was too snug but fit DD1 beautifully so she is now the owner!  I love it when I make items what work for SOMEONE!  Although she may not like me saying this, we are fairly close in size. 



























Recommendations:
I highly recommend this pattern for an easy to whip up skirt.  It is cute and stylish and really lends itself to a variety of fabrics, patterns, etc. 

Conclusion:
This is a great staple pattern that has an unappealing drawing on the envelope.  Don't let the drab drawing fool you, it has so many possibilities!  I thought about using embroider on the front, or even ribbon trim along the front as well in a contrasting color. 

Thanks for reading! 
Sue :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment