About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

McCall's 6844

I am finally getting around to making 6844 the super cute little pattern that so many have already reviewed.  And, why not?  It's fast, it's easy, it's stylish, what more could you ask for?
Obviously I made a different view than most have reviewed.  While I love views C & D, I didn't have quite enough fabric from my stash piece, so I made view B.

Here's my review.

Description: Close-fitting cardigans (do not meet at center front) have collar extending into front band and narrow hem.  A, C: shaped hemline, wrong side shows.  This pattern calls for an interfaced collar/front band.

Sizing: this pattern comes in XS to M or L to XXL.  I modified a medium.
Fabric: this is a wonderfully soft sweater-knit I purchased from Vogue Fabrics.  I love it!





























Directions:
I have to admit, I didn't look at the directions until I was finished.  The construction is very intuitive, that is if you've sewn a similarly-styled garment.  When I glanced at them when I was folding up the pattern tissue, I did notice that the sleeves were set in, which I dislike tremendously.  Something I dislike even more is interfacing a knit band and collar.  I didn't do either of these.



















Here was my order of construction:
Serge shoulder seams, use elastic to stabilize the seam
Serge collar/back neck edge together
Serge collar/band to facing, press lightly and set aside
Cover-stitch sleeve hems
Serge sleeves in flat
Serge underam and side seam
Cover-stitch lower garment hem
Serge collar/band to garment and stabilize seam with clear, 1/4" elastic
Topstitch collar band seam to garment edge using a stretch stitch.
Piece of cake, right?


I tried two things and immediately hated both so I ripped them out.
Lengthening the cardigan by 4 inches to make it into more of a coat--bad idea, it looked like a bathrobe.
Added pockets on the front.  I'm not sure how to describe how bad they looked.  Don't even try to form an image in your mind, it isn't worth it.





Modifications/Alterations:
My usual 1/2" swayback adjustment
I also added 1/2" at the bust, waist and an inch at the hips so the sweater wasn't so close fitting--just a personal preference with this view.  I wanted the front edges to meet at the center.   I could have purchased a larger size, but I didn't want to.


















Recommendations:
Oh, yes, I plan on making this more!  It's easy and fun and I can't wait to try the cute little peplum!
Have fun with this pattern!

Thanks for reading,
Sue :) 

12 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job and it looks gorgeous on you. If and when I ever get the pants to fit (Craftsy Course) to fit I am going to make this to complete the outfit. You have truly inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cardi. So good to see the other view done on this pattern. I want to do that view as well. Thanks for showing it. You really need to put it forward to Jungle January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue!!!! I was lurking in the tall grass and saw this lovely cardi!!! Can I put you in a seat on our Jungle Cruise on saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see a review of a different view of this very popular pattern. Yours has turned out lovely and has only made me want this pattern even more. Love the leopard print too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I love the animal print- not too loud... not to quiet. Just perfect! (lol) I need this pattern. I have a black knit cardi I wear ALL the time and it now has little moth holes in it. :( But I still wear it anyway... I need a new one! As soon as McCalls are on sale I will have to add this to me sewing for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do add this pattern to your collection! Are you part of Club BMV? They have patterns on sale frequently and for a little bit in shipping, I can add to my stash on a regular basis!

      Delete
  6. Terrific looking cardigan in the animal print, Sue! Your cardigan inspired me to try it in a print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much HeathersSphere! I appreciate your comment!

      Delete