About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Kwik Sew 3618

Oh, I finally got a sewing project done and I have to say, I am happy with the results!  And who wouldn't be with such a cute little vest.  Here is my review for Kwik Sew 3618. 

Pattern Description: Misses' semi-fitted vests have collar, front and back yokes, three panel front and back, topstitching detail and armholes are finished with self fabric, bias cut bindings.  View A has front pockets in seams and decorative buttoned tabs on back at waist.  View B has pockets in yoke seams with flaps.




Sizes XS to XL are all in one envelope.  I started with a Large based on my full bust but graded down to a medium as it was too large.  I guess I should have guessed that based on the pattern photo, but I'd rather take something in that try and let it out.

Fabric Used: This was a stretch denim I purchased from JoAnns.  It was reasonably priced and washed up great.  Of course I used interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply.   

Directions were great as is usually the case with Kwik Sew.  Everything was in logic order and all the notches matched up beautifully.  Of course, I made a few modifications which I'll highlight below. 

Likes/Dislikes:
1.  I love the classic jean-jacket styling.  This is exactly what I was looking for in a pattern.
2.  Love how there is a separate under collar piece.  When constructed, the upper collar slightly rolls to the under collar and lies beautifully against your neck.  
3.  I really like the length of view B .  Sometime I may try view A and determine if I like that length as well.  
4.  The flap pockets are real working pockets that are cleverly made.  Here are some of the major steps. 
 


Dislikes:
1.  How boxy/big the pattern is.  I should have known.
2.  The armholes are a little deep, but usually when you want to layer, you want them deep.  It's just a personal preference.  Next time I'll change that a bit.

Modifications/Alterations:
1.  1/2" sway back adjustment, but it looks like I could have used more.
2.  I ended up taking the waistline in about three inches distributing it on all the seams, but especially on the side seams.
3.  I made flat felled seams on the front and back pieces.  It is so nice and tidy on the inside that I'm glad I took the time to do this.
4.  I attempted to make an FBA by adding 1/2" at the front side and front middle panels at the bust apex.  Although that seems like a minor adjustment it did make the bust area lie better--exactly what I was hoping for!

Conclusion:
I had fun making this little vest.  I seem to be on a vest kick lately, but they tend to be fairly quick and fun!  If I make this again, I'll make a bigger sway back adjustment, use the flat felled seams, rework the armholes, but leave everything else alone.
If you're looking for classic jean jacket styling, this is the pattern for you!

Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment