About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Butterick 5218 Tunic

This is a review for a super easy Misses' top and tunic: loose-fitting, pullover tops A, C, tunics B, D have collar variations, front button closure with front pleat, back gathers, dropped shoulders and sleeve variations.  A has a self belt.  B: sleeve with elastic casing and side slits, C, D patch pockets and long sleeves with inside buttoned tab to hold self-rolled cuffs.  D: side slits.


 


This is a multi-sized pattern and since I knew it is loose-fitting, I made a size smaller than usual.  I also made a variation of the pattern with the sleeves of A and the length of D without the side slits.






So this is an easy rated pattern and it is indeed that!


So here is what I did.  The fabric I used was from Fabric Mart.  It is one of the J Crew's fabrics that was a Fabric of the day so I got it for a great price!


Since my fabric is so sheer and I was worried about my interfacing making it opaque or funny looking, I decided to use silk organza instead.  It worked great!  The organza is lining the collar and front placket area.  I did make the self-belt but hated it on me so I ditched it for this belt.  Also, I really didn't feel confident making button holes on such sheer fabric so I used plastic snaps.  I could have just sewn buttons on the front without the holes.  This top is so loose-fitting that you don't need to unbutton anything.  It slips right over your head!


This top whipped up in a a few hours so if you need an instant gratification project and love the comfort and ease of tunics and leggings, this is for you!  I honestly hated it when I first put it on but after DH stated he didn't think it was 'too bad' and looking at the pictures, he's right.  It isn't too bad, its not my favorite either, but I think I will wear it a few times before moving it out of my closet and making room for something else.


I do recommend this pattern for a fast and easy top.  It does run large, so my advice would be to make it a size smaller (maybe 2).  Carefully choose your fabric as I think it makes or breaks the top.  I am wondering if I should shorten this a bit?  Add some side slits?  Take it in more?  I am very open to suggestions!


Thanks for reading!
Sue 

No comments:

Post a Comment