About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, July 7, 2014

Named Clothing Kanerva Button Back Shirt 2




Ok, so me being on the repeat roll that I am, I simply had to make this blouse again from Named Clothing.



 I love my first version, seen below.



It's different, cute, comfortable, and I love any blouse with buttons up the back.  I think it takes me back to my adolescent/young adult years?  Whatever the reason, this pattern lured me back in and I am glad I listened to that call to repeat this fun blouse.










This pattern company originates in Finland.  I purchased this as a PDF and what I really liked is that it is environmentally friendly and only a few pages printed at a time.  The pieces overlap on the sheet, much like a Burda Style magazine but with my less 'clutter'.  I traced off each piece on the pattern tracing cloth and now have a permanent pattern for this blouse.  Another tactic that I simply love is that you have the option to print off the range of sizes you want for this download, not all of them which makes tracing a huge bonus in my book.




After choosing the pattern tiles you wan to print and trace off, next is fabric.  I had purchased this beautiful fabric from Emma One Sock specifically for this top.  It is so beautiful, colorful, and just fabulous to work with that I wish I would have ordered about 10 yards of it.  I have some left over, not much mind you, but I do intend to use every tiny scrap for something, anything in future projects.  I mean, can you blame me?  Look how vivid the colors are!  Look how plentiful the color is!  It is a cotton that is a wonderful weight, pressed beautifully, sewed amazingly....can you tell I love it?  DH said my finished top was wonderfully hippish and cool.  I think that means he likes it!

Enough on the fabric, if you don't stop me, I will go on for quite a while about the fabric so let's move onto the pattern.  The pattern pieces all matched up and seemed to be well drafted.  All notches and marks lined up.  The directions are very detailed, especially if you are a beginner and haven't sewn before.  Everything from the grainline and pattern notches are explained--a bonus if you haven't much experience.  I found this pattern super easy and a beginner would have a certain measure of success with this top given a little time surrounding closures.  I used snap closures and my KAM snap pliers and loved the entire process.  The only modification I made to the pattern was a 1/2" swayback adjustment which is usual for me.  I also added another concealed snap just below the waistline pleat to help with overexposing my backside when I raise my arms over my head.


One thing you do have to note about the pattern directions is that there are 1cm seam allowances or 3/8".  If you don't read the directions, or at least skim them, this could totally alter the fit and you could end up completely dissatisfied.  One of the beauties of this top is that there is enough ease you can slip this on and off over your head without using the button closures at all.  Love this!


Since this is my second time through, I really don't have anything else to add other than I do highly recommend this pattern.  I am working hard to support more indy patterns and this is a company I will look to more often.


Thanks for reading!
Sue

7 comments:

  1. What a super looking top ~ I can see exactly why you love this fabric! It really suits you ... I will have to have a look at Named Clothing and try out one of their patterns ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I appreciate your kind words'

      Delete
  2. It's very nice and the fabric is pretty yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I love how vibrant the colors are!

      Delete
  3. Pretty top and it looks lovely with those pants too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margy! Those are my new favorite pants!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sue! Wonderful top! Thank you for your detailed description of the whole process, really helpfull! One question: was the sizing accurate? I presume you measured yourself and decided on which size to sew up? And do you think the top needs a full bust adjustment for a D cup? I have the pattern, but am a bit in doubt which size to choose. Thank you for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete