About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, October 31, 2014

October recap and plans!







October was a wild ride sewing wise, can I say that?  Can anyone relate?  I feel so very blessed to be part of the Fabric Mart Fabricista challenge in which I finished 3rd!  I am still feeling great about that challenge.

So here is my October recap:

I made my first ever Marfy pattern.  I do like this pattern but I must admit that weighing the cost of the pattern versus the result is a toss up for me.  While I am glad I completed this item on my bucket-list, I think my money might be spent better elsewhere.  Not entirely sure how I feel about this pattern.  I mean I like it, but am I madly in love?  Hmm......




How freakin awesome is my obnoxious yellow trench coat?  This I LOVE!  The Sewaholic Robson Trench pattern is VERY well drafted, the directions are excellent and the finished result is something I am very proud to wear!  I modified the pattern since it is designed for pear-shaped women by cutting the waist and hips two sizes smaller than the bust.  I so want to make this coat again in a wool with a more substantial lining.  I may even try to figure out how to make a detachable lining piece.



























Next I made a second version of McCall's 6531 which is my new favorite pattern of all time.  Why?  The DETAILS of course!  How freaking RTW is this jacket?  And, I love this army green version as much as my first.



McCall's 6996 was an instant gratification project that I used this unbelievably beautiful knit from Marcy Tilton. Isn't it gorgeous? I love everything about the pattern.  It has an adorable peplum in the back.  The length is perfect for me and the drafting is great as well!  LOVE this and will make many more as I love layering pieces for work and home.





















Next up is my rendition of Simplicity 1316.  I had originally thought about making this top for the Fabric Mart challenge as an art piece but am glad I made the bright yellow trench coat pictured above instead.  This top fit sort of weird when I made my first muslin and the contrast stitching I was thinking about would have been a pain in the you-know-what.  So, I made this simpler version instead and do love it a lot.  I highly recommend a muslin to test the fit and I like the longer sleeves I made by lengthening the sleeves.  With winter rapidly approaching, this pattern will have to go in the wait to spring pile.  The metal studs were easy to apply with an iron but be aware and wait a bit before touching them as they are hot.  Why didn't I realize that before I burnt off the top three layers of my fingertips?

 

As I look at this picture, I am reminded of how badly I am in need of a hair cut!  And also, this is my first Ottobre pattern and it won't be my last.  Isn't it unique and awesome?  It runs large and I took this in tremendously but wow do I love it and plan on more!



My last garment of the month is this awesome and colorful cardigan from Mouse House creations.  This pattern was part of the perfect pattern parcel which you can sign up for!  This was the sixth parcel up for sale which benefits education and allows you to try Indy patterns.  Gosh I love this!  The fabric was from Fabric Mart and while it is bright, I simply love everything about it!
What a great layering piece.



Plans?  I do have plans for the rest of 2014.  I really need a medium weight jacket/coat that is warm and I can move easily in.  When I am on the playground, I must have a warm coat.  Some of my current coats aren't cutting it.

I love layering pieces as some classrooms I visit are way to warm and others I am freezing in!  Other than some of the cardigans I used recently, I am hoping some of you can suggest some great patterns.  I need some ideas!

Thanks for reading!
Sue :)

3 comments:

  1. Great recap! I love your McCalls jackets so much.


    How do you insert your snaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Smith! I used a Dritz Snap fastener I bought at Hancocks or JoAnns and simply followed the directions. The fastener worked pretty well but I'd like to find a more professional and reliable (if you know what I mean) fastener. I had quite a few redos on the snaps due to the way the fastener attaches them. If I find a better made fastener, I'll let you know.
      sue

      Delete
    2. Great. Thanks for the response! I'll have to just give it a shot :)

      Delete