About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Bronte Top from Jennifer Lauren

Oh goodness!  My first Bronte top!  I sometimes feel like I am the last one to the party but this time I just feel like I am sort of fashionably late.  :)  I had a lot of fun putting together this great top with such clever details!

From Jennifer Lauren's site: Bronte is a 40's inspired knit top that you can make with long or short sleeves. What makes her stand out amongst other knit top patterns is her 40's inspired shoulder detail. The back pattern piece sweeps over the shoulder creating a 40s style shrug sleeve which you can then either leave plain or decorate with buttons or other notions of your choosing. I've always loved and been drawn to 40s patterns that feature the shrug style shoulder, so it only made sense to incorporate this beautiful detail into my favourite type of top.

You can use a contrast binding around the neckline or keep her simple by using the same fabric you're making up the body with.


It's adorable!  It uses little fabric and those shoulder details are awesome! 

The fabric I used was from my stash.  I sewed a straight 14, based on my measurements.  I love how it fits but notice that annoying little fold of fabric at the bust.  Hmm....any advice for me?  





I love the shaping of the pattern and the neck bands are awesome and go together easily and professionally.  The sleeves are an awesome length--I folded mine up two inches--twice with one inch each and used a stretch stitch.  For the lower hem, I turned 3/4" and hemmed using the same stitch.  




Start to finish was about one hour--seriously!  This is an instant gratification project with awesome results.  I love that I used stash fabric and that it matches my favorite gray jeans!  
Yes, I will be making more of these!  

Thanks for reading!
Sue 

15 comments:

  1. Other than the little wrinkle, the fit is great! It amazes me how productive you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific top and I'm sure you will be making more. I love the shoulder detail too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wrinkle tells me that the bust point on the pattern is too high and you probably also need a small FBA. I notice the pattern picture also has that issue, so it's not you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gorgeous Things! I will try a small FBA.

      Delete
  4. Sue, the tee is great - looks so good on you. I love seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AC! I appreciate you reading my blog posts!

      Delete
  5. And its not just you and the original picture. I've seen that same wrinkle on countless other Bronte's. I've seen maybe one or two examples (out of dozens) that did not have that wrinkle. It is definitely the pattern and not you. But even if it is the pattern, yes, wouldn't it be great to fix it. I've had this problem on other tops too, and am paying attention to Gorgeous Things saying that perhaps the bust point is too high on those patterns, maybe that's my fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know how to lower the bust point in a top with no dart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see what I can find out and post if I find anything!

      Delete
  7. Hi everyone! I wonder if this post would help with the bust adjustment? This pattern isn't made of knit but the concept would same? http://www.sewalongs.com/anise/anise-full-bust-adjustment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also found this post for the bronte: http://www.jenniferlaurenvintage.com/2014/06/how-to-do-full-bust-adjustment-fba-for.html

      Delete
    2. Thanks Rainpatter--that is an excellent resource! I am currently trying it on a knit dress with no dart. Stay tuned!

      Delete