About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

I cord, do you?

Well yes, I did make another Archer from Grainline studios.  I love my other four so much that I knew I had to have a fifth!  Honestly, I think this is my new fav!



What, the Archer?  Never heard of it?  Well, here is a description from the Grainline site: The Archer Button Up is a loosely fitting button up shirt with long sleeves. View A has angled cuffs and a back pleat at yoke. View B has straight cuffs and a gathered lower back detail.
Techniques involved include sewing a straight seam, setting sleeves, continuous button plackets, adding a shirt collar and buttons & buttonholes. Pattern is nested to facilitate cutting between sizes if needed.
Archer Button Up Shirt

So, since I made this so many times and didn't really need the instructions I thought I ask if you cord your buttonholes.  Well?  I love cording, it is basically nesting a heavier thread between your fabric and thread and it makes your buttonholes look very professional and gives them a little pop!  



I have some neutral thread I use for the cording.  Black, white, red in heavy button twist cotton.  It feels almost as heavy as a denim top stitching thread.  In fact, you could probably use that as well!  

My Bernina has a special little doo-hikey on it that is made for the cording.  I wrap the heavy thread on it, according to the directions in my manual and stitch!  After stitching, you release the extra thread from the foot, pull it snug, and clip!  Tie off the regular thread you used to make the buttonholes functional and viola!  Complete!  

What else did I do?  I added six inches to the Archer in order to make it tunic length.  I straightened up the side edge somewhat so it wasn't quite so much of a curved edge to the side seam.  This made it much easier to hem my top as the wool woven fabric was maybe a little thicker than what the designed intended for this.  















I purchased the fabric from Fabric Mart and it was lovely!  It is all wool and the pattern is woven into the fabric, not stamped on as some flannels look.  It is heavy and warm!  Perfect for South Dakota winters!  So it isn't too scratchy at the neck, I used a piece of what feels like rayon from my stash on the inside collar stand and yoke.  It feels great on my skin!  You can just see it peeking out at my neck.  
I need a lot more practice matching up the plaid patterns.  While the front looks pretty good, the other places it isn't as good as it could be.  I love this with my denim leggings and dark brown boots.  
I plan on wearing this a lot this winter and in the years to come!
Thanks for reading!
Sue 

6 comments:

  1. Love this! You are sewing up a storm lately! I have not corded any buttonholes yet but would like to figure out how to do it. I have a new Pfaff, so I just need to read up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley Ann! I have been sewing up a storm! It is therapy for me and keeps me out of trouble! Try the corded buttonholes, they turn out really nice!

      Delete
  2. Super cute Sue. I really love the plaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha! I am pretty happy with how it turned out!

      Delete
  3. Great job & love the tips . Archer is on my list for 2015 , but need a lightwieght option for AZ winters .
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MaryEllen, oh you'll love the Archer! It's a great pattern and yes, this wool would be way too warm for Arizona. :)

      Delete