About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Jalie City Coat, round 2!

Oh I so love Jalie patterns, and wool, and winter coats--so what happens when you combine all three?  A new coat of course!


So, this coat calls for a slight stretch in the fabric but I decided to go against the directions and try a wool and know what?  It worked!  For my first go around, I used a stretch printed denim and I've worn the heck out of it. 

But, I wanted something warmer.  Denim by itself, isn't that warm.  But it is so cute--if I do say so myself!

I used a wool coating I purchased from fabric mart during a recent sale.  I love this deep eggplant color!  It sewed beautifully and was just so nice to work with!  Wow, do I love wool!






The pattern doesn't call for a lining but I created one using the pattern pieces for the coat.  Having said that, after I sewed the pieces together, I cut out the lining using the sew together pieces as a pattern with a little extra for ease.  I also lined the hood so in case I wanted to use it, my hair might behave a little better :) for those of you that have naturally curly hair, I think you know exactly what I am talking about!


Okey-dokey--this pattern is awesome!  It has quite a few pieces that are seamed together to create a style.  The front princess seams make the perfect place for inseam pockets.  The yokes make a great backdrop for the hood.  I didn't make the hood the first time but I do love it.  It isn't too big, nor too small.  The sleeves are three pieces which make for a nice fit.



Jalie patterns have really long sleeves and I did have to shorten them quite a bit--I wish I had kept track of how much, but I didn't so sorry!


I did keep the front facing and added some matching colored bias tape to it and added some decorative stitching to it to dress it up a bit.  Oh and what do you think of the orange lining?  I love the surprise of it and while it may not be an expected choice, I really love it!  Luckily I found the scarf and gloves to coordinate everything and I love it!


This is one of my favorite coat patterns!  I made this one smaller than the first (size Y versus a U).

Thanks for reading!
Sue

16 comments:

  1. I love your coat too.. The orange lining is just perfect..Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your coat. Just the pattern I have been looking for. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BeaJay! I hope you'll try this pattern. It is fun!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! And that lining is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh!!! Fantastic coat --- classy yet fun! You've inspired me to purchase this pattern :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Sue! It is awesome to be able to make a coat because it is so nice to have options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley Ann! Oh yea, I love options too!

      Delete
  6. Lovely coat and super lining! I might yet be inspired to make another coat this great length.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent coats! I'm glad to know the non-stretch fabric worked fine for you, as I'd been wondering about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the color peeking from the pocket! Great surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great coat! I love the pop of orange in the lining, especially in the hood. I'm considering this pattern for a spring jacket, so I appreciate all of your photos and details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just clarifying as I'm considering this jacket. You used stretch fabric in your first version and sized down for your second woven no-stretch version? My fabric only has 10% stretch and just hoping it would work.

    ReplyDelete