About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, June 29, 2015

Take 2 on McCall's 7093

Ever file a pattern away and then think about it almost endlessly?  That was my story with 7093.



I just love it!  So, off to my stash to find a fun fabric to make another floaty blouse for summer. Here's my first version that I LOVE so much!


The rayon used for this top was purchased from Fabric Mart very recently and the colors really spoke to me!  Black, teal, fuchsia, purples, and creamy white.  Yum!  Plus rayon is so comfy in the summer months as it really does float over your body.  :)  Always a bonus, amirite?


 
Of course I had to change it up just a bit by adding an exposed zipper in the back.  That was super easy and all I did was the following:


  • Measured the length of the zip and added an inch.  Cut out a corresponding length of fusible interfacing in a light weight to give the top enough body so it didn't hang funny but actually supported the additional weight.  



  • After fusing, I used a ruler and marking pen to draw the placement lines for the opening.  I drew these lines on the interfacing so they'd be easier to see.  The print on the Challis is busy to say the least!  



  • After double checking the lines were straight and even, I stitched on those lines with a 2.4 mm stitch and then cut down the middle to about 1/2" from the bottom, clipped to the corners and pressed.  I used steam-a-seam on the zipper and that helped me position it just the way I wanted in the opening. Next, after I was satisfied with the placement, I topstitched on the right side twice, once 1/4" from the opening and the next about an 1/8".  I like how it turned out!  


As I did before, I had an FBA and swayback adjustment already drafted into the garment and my only other change was to try the top on and pin where the shoulder darts worked best.  My first round, I messed with those pesky darts quite a bit and this time I stitched then where they wanted to lay on my shoulders.

I still love this pattern and will have to make one for fall, of course in a tunic length so I can wear it with skinnies or leggings.

As always, thanks so much for reading!!!
Sue

3 comments:

  1. Love your tops! I've made this pattern too, but it doesn't work as well for me as it does for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly, I hate to hear the pattern didn't work for you!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the white with black lace top version you made! I too fell in love with this pattern and can't wait to try it out. This weekend hopefully. I feel ya, I too love, love, love to hoard just about anything that has to do with sewing! :( This year's resolution is to make 1 garment a month! (Crossing fingers!) :)

    ReplyDelete