About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sewing For Simon! Ottobre and a Monster applique

Simon is growing fast and I love sewing for him.  So, when I was cleaning off my sewing table, I found this very nice gray ponte and it is the perfect weight for a long-sleeved tee for the little guy. The dark gray ribbing is from my stash and I have no idea where I purchased it!



I also had this monster applique/embroidery program laying close by, so I put two and two together and bam--Simon has a new shirt!

 

The pattern is from Ottobre 3/2012.  I modified pattern 4, or the Tigerfish striped top, only I left off the stripe. Wanting to make a size 92cm for him, I didn't have that many choices from this issue, but luckily this one fit the bill perfectly.


Don't ask me about the directions, this is a simple tee so I didn't use them.  I did modify the neckline and made it a bit wider and the neckband a little narrower as he just doesn't like things pulled over his head, and I don't blame him.  I also used my coverstitch from the hemline.


From start to finish, including the applique/embroidery, it took me about 2.5 hours.  The embroidery itself took almost an hour.  The design is from Anita Gooddesign and I really like her software.  I resized the design considerably so it would fit on her shirt.

I am hoping that after I wash this the lines from the hoop will no longer be visible.  Also, you will notice the left-most eye has a little bit of a place where it looks like the thread didn't completely cover the eye, well, the thread kept nesting under that part of the design so I had to move the stitches along a few hundred steps in order to bypass that little problem area.



Two of the thread colors are glow in the dark thread!  I had to loosen the tension even more than normally for embroidery so it didn't continue to break.  I took Simon into a dark room to show him the shirt and he replied with, "OH!"

I love OTTOBRE patterns and this is one I will reach for again.


Thanks for reading!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment