About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Monday, October 12, 2015

Take 2--the Cindy Jean Jacket in a dark denim

Told you I was going to make another Cindy Jean Jacket...I had to, before I put this pattern away!  I had a great time playing with fabrics for my orange, white, and black version and I knew I wanted a denim one to replace an older jean jacket that I have in my regular rotation.  You can see it below, I sent the photo to StyleArc and they posted it on their site!

This Cindy Jacket is a dressed up and grown up jacket with fun details that make it interesting to put together.  And, since this is my second time around the block with this pattern, I found reading the directions about 100 times easier!  Note to self: make more muslins to test out the patterns!  It isn't difficult if you are experienced and the fitting is just superb!

Fabulous slightly fitted stretch jeans jacket

I purchased the fabric from Hancock's when it was 50% off.  It was a little stiff when I bought it and I washed it in hot water and a hot dryer.


What an amazing transformation!  It's soft and feels like a well worn jacket now.  No, I don't normally wear jackets buttoned, but I wanted to show you what it looks like if you do button it up. That is one goofy look on my face.  I really do love this so not sure where that came from!  



I followed the pattern as written and included the adorable raw edged and ruffled collar.  Isn't that just about the cutest detail you've ever seen?  It took a bit to unravel the fabric, but it won't go further as you first stitch around the edge and then pull from the cut edge. 



I love this jacket with a bright shirt underneath!  Also, there is enough room that I can wear a long-sleeved shirt underneath!  Yay!


 Sorry this photo below is a little blurry.  I am not sure what I did wrong on my camera!  You can see all the topstitching that's done as well to add some fun details!

I clipped about every inch to ease in pulling threads.  Next, I used my pleating/gathering foot and it was almost the perfect length!  To add to the funkiness of the collar, I randomly clipped every few inches the pleating so it wasn't perfectly symmetrical, if that makes any sort of sense at all!


I found the funky oval-shaped buttons at a local yarn store.  I don't shop there often but when I do I find the neatest stuff!  These buttons were a bit of a splurge--costing more than the fabric, but it's okay, I really love them and think that add a cool factor.
 

I really love this pattern and will most likely make it again.  I honestly don't care if I have two of these jackets that are the same except for color!  It fits great, is super stylish and I love feeling good in my clothes!

Thanks for reading!
Sue :)

15 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Sue! The gathered collar is a nice RTW touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I appreciate your kind words!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic jacket. So many cute details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann! I think this is one of my all-time favorite jacket patterns!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous. The gathers are so nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I really love the gathers as well--unique and different!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful jacket with some interesting details. Quite different from your first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! Isn't it amazing how fabric choice (and buttons) can make a jacket look so completely different?

      Delete
  6. Hi Sue,
    Your jackets are fabulous; I love the orange one as thats my favorite color! You are so prolific! How do you get so much done?? I sew most of the time, but as yet, haven't learned how to post. The day I do, watch out PR. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I really don't consider myself prolific! I don't sit well nor do I watch television well and all my kids are grown up so in my free time, I sew! I can't wait to see your reviews! Posting is pretty easy! Try it!

      Delete
  7. Really , really cute . I Love denim so this really appeals to me . The neck detail really makes this a very stylish jacket. I haven't sewn a Style Arc - how are their directions - have read mixed things .
    Great, great job !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MaryEllen! Great question about directions--they are minimal however I highly encourage you to try one! The details are awesome and they come together so very well! The sizing is consistent across their patterns so a 12 always fits! It might be wise to try an easy or medium for your first one just so you get used to their way of construction and directions. :)

      Delete
  8. You do such beautiful work! The top stitching is so impressive! Love the buttons on the jean jacket and I think the orange fabric on the first one was an inspired choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Julie! I so appreciate your kind words! Those buttons are the bomb, aren't they and orange is one of my all-time favorite colors, so I HAD to use it! Thanks again!

      Delete