About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Another McCall's knit jacket--never ever enough!


I have always like this pattern and I've made it again!  The first time I put it together, it was for a sewing bee on SPR.  I made it from a woven, lined it, and overlaid part of it with lace.  I like it, but I don't love it.  This version however is a different story!  This one is love for sure!  Here is a peek at the pattern:

M7199, Misses' Jackets
Line Arts

Another winner of a pattern with many possible variations!  I choose view D with contrasting fabrics and no closures and I left off the pockets.


That really isn't any sort of staining on the front lapel area.  That is a weird shadow from my camera!


McCall's 7199 is a Misses' jacket that is semi-fitted, unlined jackets have self-lined front extending into standing back collar, seam detail, shaped hemline, wrong side shows, side front pockets, and stitched hem on sleeves.  A: Exposed zipper and metal snap.  C: Toggle closure.  A, B, C: Topstitching.  Note: No provisions for above waist adjustment.


Again, I made a size 14 with a swayback adjustment.  I wish I had made an FBA but I was feeling lazy.  Next time I will have to as I see some pulling in that area.  I know better!!!


 I didn't have enough of each fabric to make a single color, and with the gray, I barely had enough to make it in the manner I did with the back in the solid and the front piece and the overlay area.  I do like how I laid out the fabric--even if it isn't exactly what the pattern called for.



As you can see, this is pretty fitted (for a jacket that is listed as semi-fitted) from the shoulders to the waistline.  This is exactly the fit I was looking for.  


See how fun the piecing is on this jacket?  I also got those points to match up really nicely!  


I wanted to show you how the inside is partially lined.  To attach the facings to the inside, the pattern calls for hand stitching.  Next time I make this, I am going to figure out a way to wait to topstitch the seams until the garment is complete and then that will also secure the facings without having to hand stitch.  


And that would be my only minor complaint about this pattern--you topstitch seams during the construction process and then have to hand stitch.  


See the slight pulling at the bust?  I needed an FBA.  Did I mention that I used two pontes for this garment?  Both were FM purchases and sewed like a dream!



This is nice and warm, fun and I think very cute!  I wore it to work today and received many compliments!

Thanks for reading!
Sue
 

3 comments:

  1. I have also made this jacket twice. It's one of my favorite patterns of 2015. Where it calls for hand stitching, I did it by machine by stitching in the ditch of the side seam, being careful to not stich the pocket closed. Worked like a charm. I love how yours turned out. Great fabric combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking at this pattern and now will have to give it a try! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete