About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, July 22, 2016

I Lu Lu, do you?

How fun is this tunic from StyleArc?  I think it is super, duper fun! 

                   

I made it yesterday afternoon and as you'll see from my photos, wore it today so there are some wrinkles that I hope you'll ignore!

Layered tunic length top made in woven

I purchased this as a PDF from StyleArc's Etsy store.  Have you gone there yet?  Not only are the patterns cheaper, but also it is instant gratification!  You can also order a size range.  My typical size for StyleArc is a 12 so at the Etsy store, I purchase the range of sizes from 10 to 14.  That way, if a garment is super over-sized, I can print off and put together the size 10.  

                   

This pattern has some interesting details that caught my eye.  I LOVE neck and sleeve bands!  There aren't created from merely cutting a wide strip and then folding, there are separate pieces that are sewn together to create the shaped sleeve bands.  I really, really love this detail!

                 

This is how this garment fit me straight from the package, so to speak!  Oops, let me say that I almost always make a swayback adjustment and I did here as well.  That was my only adjustment to the fit. When I make this again, I am going to consider make an FBA and add darts.  Notice, there isn't really any shaping to this garment which I was more than okay with.  We are having one heck of a HOT and HUMID summer as I am sure most of the country is but I don't really want any tops hugging my curves!


Let's talk about the fabric a moment, shall we?  I love this coral crepe.  I don't typically sew with crepe and while it is just lovely to look at and the finished garment I think looks pretty darn good, it has sort of a spongy-quality that was a little frustrating to get a sharp press with at the sleeve and neckline bands.  I ended up hitting those areas with a super hot iron, a pressing cloth, and a lot of steam.  That helped tremendously!  

                   

If you've made StyleArc patterns in the past, you will realize that the strength of this pattern company is their drafting, not their directions.  I had read other reviewers comment the directions for attaching the lower skirt to the bodice was difficult to understand, so I look at the diagram that was included with the pattern download and it all made sense.  


I love this tunic.  I hope to make another at some point in a lovely silk or similarly silky fabric.  


As always, thank you for reading!


I love your comments!

Sue 







   

3 comments:

  1. I love this tunic! I kept going to Etsy thinking to add this to my not needed but wanted pattern list. Reading your review at PR and seeing it in more detail here has inspired me to give this a try. Love this color on you, coral is also a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I just ordered and downloaded 5 patterns yesterday with the Xmas in July sale she is having. I considered this one, but ultimately didn't get it; I may need to go back today and get it!

    ReplyDelete