About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Friday, January 19, 2018

Sewing some separates!

For this month's Fabric Mart post, I knew I wanted to use this gorgeous cobalt and black viscose and mohair woven to make something.... the question was what to do!  It is too cold where I live to make a dress that doesn't need some sort of jacket, sweater, etc., so I also ordered this beautiful super wash wool jersey in deep black because in the Northern Plains, you need layers people!  Layers! 


Sorry about the indoor photos.  Like most of the nation, when I took these photos, we were in a deep freeze and the air temp just barely made it above zero degrees Fahrenheit.  I love and appreciate the quality of outdoor photos but I have standards, that is not freezing!    


That fun purple print is a sweater knit from my stash that I also purchased from FM quite some time ago.  The colors in it are just perfect with the cobalt and black.  Plus, I really to add some additional color in my life. 


All three fabrics sewed up dreamily.  Is that a word? 


Even though all three were awesome, the skirt is my favorite fabric.  I've never used a fabric with mohair in it and it just sewed and pressed beautifully.  This skirt will be a frequent rotation in my closet.


Here is a link to the McCall's pattern I used: Skirt pattern.  This is a vintage reproduction and I love the shape and lines of those patterns.  Dressing decades ago required style, am I right?


Of course I lined this skirt and since this is a dark fabric, I decided to have some fun with a big pop of color!


I am not sure what I was doing there, but at least you can see the vibrant lining I used!  The lining is also from FM and it is one of my favorite ranges of color--coralish, reddish, orangish.  So pretty!



I like having the option to wear the long black cardigan with the skirt and top and also the necessity as it's been pretty darn cold.  Just so you know, being middle aged, I am rarely cold these days, so if I say it's been cold, then believe me!


I did mention to the hubby that I sort of felt like a librarian--no offence to any of you that may be a librarian, this is just very conservative.



I also wanted to be able to wear the cardi and sweater with other things, like jeans!  


This super wash wool is just light, warm, and wonderful to work with!


It drapes just beautifully!  To stabilize the hems, I used a notion that you can purchase on FM's site.  SeweyeKeys is amazing and works magic!  If you've never used it before, try it.   It is fusible stabilizer to use on knit garments.  You press it on, turn and sew.  I've tried other brands you can purchase at locations such as JoAnns.  They are nearly as good as SeweyeKeys. 



If you are wondering, here are the patterns I used for the cardi and the top.  

On to the fabric--


Here is a close up of the skirt fabric and lining.  Dark colors are really hard to photograph.  


Here is another try at the skirt fabric.  


Here is a closer look at the sweater knit.  It feels like it has some wool in it and it again sewed up beautifully.


Here is a closer look at the cardigan made from the wool knit.  I decided to use a decorative stitch on the pocket edges.  

I enjoyed making these separates that I will wear together and apart.  

Thanks for reading and I love reading your comments!  
Thanks for stopping by!
Sue

6 comments:

  1. Love your skirt too! It just hangs SO beautifully and fits you perfectly. I like your long cardi (I've been looking at one of these for the spring) - by the way I use SeweyeKeys 1" tape all the time on knit hems and WOW it makes your life so much easier - no measuring, holds it firm and the hem comes out perfect every time. It's spoiled me for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen! I really love this skirt too! Isn't the Seweyekeys tape awesome? It is really the best there is! It totally spoils me as well and it fits my need for perfection with the fact it is always perfect!

      Delete
  2. Great pieces! plus you look so cute sitting on the counter :-)

    ReplyDelete