About Me

My photo
Sewing is therapy for me. I hoard fabric, patterns, notions, and spend more time shopping for fabric than I care to admit...

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Vogue 8825

So....ever have a pattern for years, yes I mean years, sew it up because there are so many positive reviews and then feel slightly deflated when you were done?  Welp, that was me with this dress.  It isn't that I don't like it, I do but I am underwhelmed...



This pattern has been around for a while--it is copyrighted 2012.  Many reviewers have had success with it.  And, lets just say that if you have a slim body, it will look great!


See where the bodice ends on me compared to the pattern cover?  For reference, I am 5'7".  Typically I do not alter patterns in the bodice length, except for when I make a FBA.



This dress is described as a pullover dress/tunic has front extending into the back collar, fitted, front pleated bodice, raised waist, tie ends, two-piece sleeves with barrel cuffs and stitched hem.  


So yes, the waist is raised, but with mine, I felt like with the belt, it wasn't hitting me in the right place.  So, I took it off.  I probably could have messed with the placement of it, but since I didn't have enough of the main fabric anyway, I had to make it in a black for contrast.  It just didn't do it for me.


There is a center back seam and while you may be tempted to cut this on the fold and loose that seam, I would caution you against it.  There is some nice shaping there.

I really love this fabric--it is from Stof.  It is 95 or so percent cotton and the rest is lycra.  It sews, wears, washes, and dries like a dream!


The length of this dress is just perfect for boots and such.  And that cross over bodice--it stays in place because I stitched it close with a very narrow zig-zag.  This bodice is very, very well designed. and the two piece shoulders are great as well.



Here is a shot of the barrel cuffs.  The are nice and long and support the weight and volume of the gathered sleeve.


If you look closely, you can see the stitch I use for my hems.  It is a stretch stitch on my Bernina.  I like this so much better than my coverstitch.  I really should sell that thing!  



6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for making this. I have also had it for ages and kept planning to make it. I think you are right...it is better on a flat chest, which I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cute Sue. I've been salivating over that pattern in my stash for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the fabric, and Stof is a new site for me. Must look that up. Also, I appreciate your mentioning again that stretch stitch. I ran to my 25-year-old book of practice stitches for my bernina and there it was! I am definitely using that next time I do a hem on a knit. I’m afraid of my coverstitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave woman! I have the pattern as well, but when I went over the tissue, I chickened out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fabric is really lovely! It's just the sort of fabric I like and I know Stof is excellent quality so I'm sure to see and feel it live is a dream. I like your dress! I think it fits you great and looks terrific on you. Interesting what you said about liking that hem stitch on your Bernina better than your coverstitch - another blogger mentioned (and showed in photos) a stitch on her machine - similar but she called hers a "honeycomb - that always uses for top stitching and hemming on knits. I have a Coverstitch machine too but I do like it I must admit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone for your lovely comments! What I don't like about my coverstitch is that I can't be as precise as I can with my regular machine. My coverstitch doesn't have a clear foot so it is hard for me to tell exactly where my stitching started and then ending in the perfect spot is hard. Those little things drive me bonkers! I have also had quite a few of the coverstitching eventually come out even though I make sure that I tie the ends off and use fray check. So, there you have it--my gripes about my coverstitch!

      Delete